Part 3 (of 3) – Apples, Delicious Apple Recipes
Apples are so flavorful this time of year, and with the Thanksgiving holidays approaching soon, here are some delicious recipes for apples. When selecting apples to purchase, feel for any soft areas and look for discoloration or “bruising”. When apples are past ripeness, they become brown and soft or mushy. Apples should be firm, without give when slightly squeezing the apple. Crisp, fresh and firm apples are the best to eat and cook with!
Here are two low-fat, low-calorie recipes – Apple Griddle Scones and Caramel Apple Protein Shake:
Apple Griddle Scones
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt (or low-fat buttermilk)
- 1 large apple (McIntosh or Golden Delicious are recommended)
- Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl. Add the whole-wheat flour and sugar, and mix well.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or by pulsing in a food processor) until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Make a well in the center, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and yogurt together.
- Peel, core, and finely chop the apple. Stir into the yogurt mixture. Pour the wet mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir to form a soft dough.
- On a floured work surface, pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thick round, and cut into 8 triangles.
- Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over low to medium heat, and sprinkle lightly with flour. Cook the scone triangles for 5 minutes, until they are golden brown on the bottom. Turn and cook for 4 minutes longer.
- Serve warm.
(Per Serving) Calories: 189, Protein: 4 grams, Carbs: 28 grams, Fat: 7 grams
Caramel Apple Protein Shake
- 1 scoop vanilla whey isolate (or vanilla protein powder of choice)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 small apple, skin removed and diced
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2–3 ice cubes
- 2 Tbsp. sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Wait a few minutes for the pudding mix to thicken the shake, and then enjoy.
(Per Serving) Calories: 295, Protein: 39 grams, Carbs: 25 grams, Fat: 3 grams