We bet you didn’t know this, but April is National Fresh Celery Month. In honor of this amazing event, we felt it would be beneficial to help each of you know how to pick the freshest celery.
Celery can be eaten raw. People eat it just as it is, toss it into salads, and even mix it in dips. Oftentimes it is used to cook with as well. Many choose to use it to add flavor to soups and casseroles.
But when it’s time to pick the celery for tonight’s meal, do you know what to look for? Here are a few tips.
When buying celery look for:
- Firm, tightly packed stalks
- They should have medium-thick ribs that are crisp enough to break easily
- No rubbery feeling stalks
- Check the leaves and make sure they are not wilted and have a vibrant green color.
- No discoloring or spotting
- Stalks should not fan out much
- Check for several thin stalks in the center
Now that you know the secrets, go out and celebrate National Fresh Celery Month with some amazing celery from our incredible produce section.