The Health Benefits of Oranges
You’ve most likely heard since you were a small child that oranges are an important part of a healthy, balanced diet, but have you ever wondered why? Well, here are the answers to that question: Vitamin C and Fiber.
Essential for our bodies to stay healthy, Vitamin C not only boosts our immune systems, but is also an important antioxidant that protects the insides and outsides of our bodys’ cells from damage. Vitamin C is associated with a reduced risk of colon cancer, asthma, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and so much more. Vitamin C also prevents colds and recurrent ear infections.
One orange provides approximately 92% of the recommended daily amount of Vitamic C!
Fiber has many great health benefits, such as reducing high cholesterol levels, controlling blood sugar levels, and deterring cancer-causing chemicals from the colon. Fiber is associated with preventing atherosclerosis and can curb some symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
One orange provides approximately 12% of the recommended daily amount of Dietary Fiber.
Interesting Facts About Oranges
- Oranges are the largest citrus fruit in the world.
- Orange juice is the most popular fruit juice in America.
- There are over 600 varieties of oranges.
- Florida is the top orange producer in the United States.
- Spain has over 35 million orange trees.
- Brazil is the world leader in orange production, producing about half of the world’s orange juice and approximately 80% of the world’s orange concentrate.
- With a high resistance to disease, more oranges are killed by lightning than by plant diseases.
Oranges and Other Produce at Market Basket
At Market Basket, we pride ourselves in our great selection of farm-fresh produce. Swing by your local Southeast Texas or Southwest Louisiana Market Basket store to get great produce at great prices. If you have any questions regarding our produce, please contact an in-store associate or click here.