Hot Mushroom Turnovers
These turnovers are a tasty take on a popular appetizer, with all the mushroom-y marvelousness stuffed inside a cream cheese crust.
Recipe type: Appetizers
- ½ cup (1/2 of 8-oz. tub) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Spread
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. flour, divided
- ½ lb. fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- ¼ cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- Beat cream cheese spread and ½ cup butter in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gradually beat in 1-1/2 cups flour; shape into ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions; cook 5 to 7 min. or until mushroom liquid is cooked off. Add thyme and remaining flour; mix well. Stir in sour cream. Remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 15-inch square. Use 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter to cut dough into 36 rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Spoon 1 tsp. mushroom mixture onto center of each round; brush edge with egg. Fold in half; seal edges with fork. Place on baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray. Cut small slits in tops to allow steam to escape; brush with remaining egg.
- Bake 18 to 20 min. or until golden brown.