Mixed Scalloped Potatoes
Author: MB Family & Friends
Recipe type: Dinner
- 5 Russet Potatoes
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Onion, peeled
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 C Milk
- ½ C Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp Butter, softened
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Rub inside of rectangular baking dish with garlic clove.
- Butter the dish with about 1 tbsp butter and set aside.
- Using a knife, slice onion very thinly.
- Warm olive oil in large skillet.
- Cook onions until tender and seasoning well with salt and pepper, stir in thyme leaves at the end.
- In medium saucepan, bring milk and heavy whipping to a simmering boil.
- In large saucepan, melt about 2 tbsp butter over medium heat and stir in flour.
- Remove from heat and stir in hot milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Return to heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly with at a boil for about 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Peel russet and sweet potatoes and slice them very thinly.
- Layer about one-third of the potatoes in baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with about one-third of the onions and some of the sauce; repeat layering, finishing with the sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 425° F and bake for about 10 minutes or until top layer is golden and crusty brown, and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.