May is National Celiac Disease Awareness month. Celiac Disease can be initiated by consuming the protein called gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye. When people with Celiac Disease eat foods containing gluten, their immune system responds by damaging villi of the small intestine. When the villi become damaged, the body is unable to absorb nutrients into the bloodstream, which can eventually cause malnourishment if left untreated. Other diseases may develop due to Celiac Disease such as autoimmune, cancers, osteoporosis and heart disease.
Many, many foods contain gluten, such as wheat, barley and rye. Foods like pizza crust, breads, muffins, buns, wraps, rolls and other food products contain gluten. At Market Basket, we stock several brands and varieties of Gluten Free products. When shopping Gluten Free, be sure to look for any of these seals on products certified Gluten Free.
Naturally Gluten-Free Foods
Some foods are naturally free of gluten. Here are some examples:
- Milk (not flavored with ingredients that contain gluten, such as malt)
- 100% Fruit or Vegetable Juices
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Seeds (such as flax)
- Tree Nuts (such as almonds)
- Non-Gluten-Containing Grains (such as corn)
- Fresh Fish (such as cod)
- Fresh Shellfish (such as clams)
- Water (including bottled, distilled, and spring)