Carolyn Bell, RDN – Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Help reduce inflammation by avoiding highly processed foods. Skip out on refined foods like white breads and bakery treats, fried foods, sugary sodas, high fatty foods like red meats and margarines – these contribute to inflammation. Instead, create your Market Basket shopping list to include foods that help reduce inflammation:
- Fruits – anthocyanins – found in berries (all fruits are good, especially berries)
- Dark green vegetables – contain cytokines – broccoli, kale, spinach, collard greens
- Tomatoes – for their Lycopene content – reduces inflammation
- Nuts – high in antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids – almonds, walnuts, cashews
- Olive oil – oleocanthal found in olive oil – helps reduce inflammation.
- Fatty fish – high in Omega 3 fatty acids -salmon, mackerel, sardines and tuna
Drink refreshing water and increase natural foods in your diet to help reduce joint swelling and the pain which accompanies inflammation.