February is National Heart Month. If your sweetheart is on a heart-healthy diet to maintain good health, what is a smart and delicious treat for Valentine’s Day? Here is a delicious recipe to avoid saturated fats and too much sugar, yet taste simply delicious. Sweetheart Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes. Just 3 small cupcakes equals 150 calories and just 3 grams of fat.
Sweetheart Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes
Yield: 48 cupcakes
Serving size: 3 cupcakes, with frosting
- 1 – 16 oz. box Red Velvet Cake Mix, dry mix only
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz. plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Using cupcake liners, line two mini-muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Using a mixer, or hand mixing, mix dry cake mix, egg whites, water, yogurt, vanilla and baking powder until well mixed. Mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Evenly fill cupcake liners with cake batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Beat softened cream cheese and powdered sugar together on high until icing starts to become thick, add in vanilla and continue beating on high until frosting is creamy.
- After cupcakes have cooled, spread the cream cheese frosting mixture over each cupcake.
Nutrition Information, per 3 cupcakes: Calories 150, Fat 3 g, Carbohydrates 27 g, Protein 4 g, Fiber 1 g