Cheese Blintzes with Spiced Blueberry Sauce
Author: Best Choice
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 Best Choice large eggs
- 1 cup Best Choice whole milk
- ¾ cup Best Choice all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Best Choice vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Best Choice salt
- ¼ teaspoon Best Choice baking powder
- 6 tablespoons Best Choice unsalted butter
- 1 small lemon
- 2 large Best Choice egg yolks
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Best Choice granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Best Choice unsalted butter, softened
- ⅛ teaspoon Best Choice ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 packages (4.4 ounces each) fresh blueberries (about 2-1/2 cups) or 1 package (12 ounces) Best Choice frozen blueberries
- 1-3/4 cups Best Choice granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Best Choice corn starch
- ½ teaspoon Best Choice ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Best Choice ground nutmeg
- Prepare Crepes: In blender, puree eggs, milk, flour, oil, salt and baking powder, occasionally scraping sides of blender with rubber spatula. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Cheese Filling: From lemon, grate ¾ teaspoon zest; reserve lemon. In medium bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks. Stir in ricotta, sugar, softened butter, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, melt 2 tablespoons butter in microwave oven on high 30 seconds or until melted. Stir crepe batter. Heat 8-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly brush pan with melted butter and pour 3 tablespoons batter into center of pan. Quickly swirl pan so batter forms an even layer. Batter should set immediately and form tiny bubbles. Cook 1-1/2 minutes or until bottom of crepe is lightly browned and top looks dry. Carefully lift 1 edge of crepe with rubber spatula; grab crepe with fingers and flip. Cook 30 seconds longer or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove crepe from pan and place on plate. Repeat with remaining melted butter and batter, alternately stacking crepes off center on plate.
- To assemble blintzes, place 1 crepe on work surface and spoon 3 tablespoons filling onto crepe 1 inch from bottom and sides of crepe. Fold bottom of crepe over filling, then fold in sides and roll up from bottom to enclose filling completely. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling.
- Prepare Spiced Blueberry Sauce: From reserved lemon, squeeze 2 tablespoons juice into medium saucepan. Add blueberries, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and nutmeg; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is clear and thickens slightly. Remove saucepan from heat; cover to keep warm. Makes about 2-1/2 cups sauce.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. In batches of 3, fry blintzes, seam side up, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Wipe out pan with paper towel and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter halfway through cooking blintzes. Serve blintzes topped with warm blueberry sauce.