Carolyn Bell, RDN – Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Has this ever happened to you? You are in the middle of preparing and meal and realize you are out of an ingredient you need. Or you return from the grocery store and realize you forgot to purchase an item you need for a recipe. Here are tips to keep this from happening to you:
- Keep a notepad handy for writing this week’s items to purchase at the supermarket.
- Take the list with you to the grocery and draw a line through each item as you place it in the basket.
- At the very least, use your cell phone to take a picture of the list and check your phone as you shop. (Having a written list, that you can check items off, can help avoid forgetting items.)
- Before heading to the store, review Market Basket’s circular for sale items to add to your list. (Don’t forget that circulars are available near the store entrance if you forget to check at home.)
- Lastly, avoid grocery shopping when you are hungry or overly tired. If you are too hungry, it’s very easy to veer from your shopping list and there goes the budget. If your tired, it’s easy to be distracted and forget items on your list.
Be a smart shopper, check the weekly circular for sales, and keep a running list of items to purchase at your next supermarket shopping trip!