Carolyn Bell, RDN – Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
- Excellent sources of vitamin A, potassium, vitamin C and fiber
- Contain niacin, folate, and iron
- Low in fat – cholesterol free
- Lower on the glycemic index that white baking potatoes
- Canned, frozen, and fresh sweet potatoes are available year-round
Sweet potatoes will keep for a month or longer if stored at 55-degrees (do not refrigerate). Canned sweet potatoes are usually packed in heavy syrup, or “candied” (high in sugar and fat), and are lower in beta-carotene, vitamin C, and B vitamins – compared to fresh sweet potatoes.